You Plate It
Country Represented: Australian with a French Twist at Bonjour Perth
Crispy Braised Chicken Thighs
500g Chicken Thighs
3 Garlic Cloves
1.5 Tbsp Butter
180g Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tbsp Chicken Stock
5 Dutch Cream Potatoes
75g Baby Spinach
1. Pat the chicken dry with paper towel and season with salt. Heat a large high
sided pan over medium-high heat and add chicken skin-side down. Cook without
moving until skin has browned and fat has rendered, about 5 minutes.
Remove from pan and set aside, skin-side up.
2. Thinly slice the mushrooms. Peel and mince garlic. Peel and dice the potatoes
into 1 cm cubes.
3. Place mushrooms and garlic in the pan with a large pat of butter. Cook the
mushrooms, seasoning with salt, until they start to soften and brown. Once
the moisture from the butter and mushrooms has almost evaporated, add the
balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine and reduce by half.
4. Boil kettle and mix the stock concentrate with 1.5 cups hot water. Add the
chicken to the pan along with any juices, skin side up. Add enough stock to cover
the thighs by 3⁄4, leaving only the skin exposed. Simmer for 15-25 minutes until
the chicken is cooked through.
5. While the chicken is braising, add the potatoes to a pot and fill with boiling
water. Cook for 12-14 minutes, or until tender. Drain and return to the pot. Season,
add a dash of milk, and butter to taste, then mash to your desired consistency.
Set aside, covering to keep warm.
6. You Plate It!
Remove chicken thighs from the pan and set aside. Increase the heat to
medium-high. Reduce the liquid by half or until it thickens slightly. Turn off the
heat, and stir through spinach. Divide mash, chicken and balsamic mushrooms
between plates. Enjoy!
About Mark Rawlings
Mark Rawlings is one of the co-founder of You Plate It.